Skip to content

Near and Far

August 12, 2013

On this gorgeous Monday here in the mountains, I’m feeling a little bittersweet.  You see, my family came to visit me this weekend and we had a truly phenomenal time.  Why is this a problem, you might ask?  Because my parents, sister and brother-in-law, all of whom I love and get along with fabulously,  live across the country and boarded a plane back to Virginia this morning.

Family hike

It’s tough for me to say goodbye to them knowing that it will be a while before we are all together again.  At the same time, spending the weekend soaking in amazing Colorado weather, going on gorgeous mountain hikes, and entertaining my family in my home reinforced how much I truly love where I live.  As sad as I am at the moment that I live thousands of miles from my family, I really can’t see myself moving away from this magical place.  I know that I’m ridiculously lucky to have this “problem,” but that knowledge doesn’t make it much easier to go back to work alone after spending the last week surrounded by love, warmth and laughter.

Family hike

I have a bunch of fun posts lined up about the wonderful time we had – a quick trip to Steamboat Springs, two picture-perfect hikes, tons of delicious meals, and two totally different and entertaining performances – plus, I still need to tell you about the adventures my friends and I had before my family’s arrival.  I think the best remedy for my current malaise is reminding myself just how good I’ve got it – I just need the time to type up a few posts!

Family at the Ranch

I know that I’m much luckier than most, and I’m so fortunate that my family and I have the means to travel and visit each other.  Looking over the photos from our weekend together and how much fun we had, I almost feel silly for feeling sad that it’s over.  My life here is pretty awesome, it’s just missing a few key people!  For those of you out there who live far from your loved ones, what do you do when you’re feeling a little too far away?

Advertisements
9 Comments leave one →
  1. laura graham - eaten the moon permalink
    August 12, 2013 9:01 pm

Can’t wait to read about it! I’m sure it was a blast. My parents live in Virginia too, and I’m lucky if I see them twice a year. Fortunately we both live in beautiful states!

• August 13, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks Laura! It really was fabulous. Funny to hear that you and your fam are split between CO and VA too… and totally true that we’re lucky to be torn between two fabulous places. I’m still waiting for someone to invent teleportation so we can all hang out as often as we want!

2. Jamie permalink
    August 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Aww Lolo this post made me tear up! Miss you already! I can’t believe our trip is already over, thanks for showing us an amazing time! Love you!!

3. August 13, 2013 6:48 am

I live in Ukraine, on the other side of the world from my family. Skype video calls make all the difference. My mother spends the whole call just staring at me 🙂

• August 13, 2013 10:21 am

Wow – that makes me feel like I’m pretty darn close to my family! I definitely need to take advangtage of Skype and FaceTime more often. Thanks for sharing and I hope you’re enjoying Ukraine!

4. Donna permalink
    August 13, 2013 11:17 am

I’m definitely feeling a little blue today, missing you all so much after a wonderful visit in your beautiful adopted state of Colorado. What a fabulous time we had just being together, there is NOTHING like family to refresh the spirit… Keep the photos coming please! Much love to all.

Trackbacks

1. The Best Restaurant in Beaver Creek: The Golden Eagle | Peaks and Passports
  2. Steamboat Springs Side Trip | Peaks and Passports

What are your thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s